Debora Calderon

March 13, 2021

Today, we’ll share the story of Debora Calderon, a PhD Candidate in Neuroscience at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

Debora conducts research under Dr. Christa McIntyre in the Neurobiology of Memory Lab. Her research seeks to understand the effects of traumatic memories on the brain by studying it at a molecular and systems level. She is specifically interested in the use of optogenetics and vagus nerve stimulation to target the locus coeruleus, involved in fear extinction, as a potential therapy for PTSD and other trauma related disorders.

Her research stems from a passion for mental health. She added – “Mental health has always been very important to me. Stress is universal. We have all been at a point in our lives when stress feels so overwhelming that it starts to affect our sleep, our appetite, or our ability to concentrate. When stress begins to exceed our abilities to cope with it – the results can be long-lasting, unmanageable, even at times, debilitating. Knowing that I am contributing to the conversation makes my work incredibly meaningful to me. Before all this craziness happened, my favorite
part of research was also working with and teaching our undergraduate students –
both in lab and class settings. Of course, I also attend my own classes. Many of these are geared towards grant writing, seminars to keep up-to-date with the latest research, and opportunity to network with visiting speakers. Outside of school, I am part of a Latin dance team and am involved in programs of outreach at my church.”

PhD Candidate
Neuroscience,
School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences