Mark Zuppichini

March 13, 2021

Today, we’ll share the story of Mark Zuppichini, a PhD candidate in Cognition and Neuroscience at the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

“My long-term research interests involve using behavioral, cognitive, neuropsychological and advanced neuroimaging techniques to elucidate the cognitive processes and neural correlates of learning and memory in order to test theory-driven hypotheses, to understand how multiple sclerosis (MS) disease progression affects cognition, and to aid in the development of effective treatments. The training I have received so far as an undergraduate at the University of Delaware and as a master’s student at Montclair State University has provided him with an exceptional background in experimental psychology and cognitive neuroscience.”

While talking about his current research, Mark shared, “My matriculation into the Ph.D. program at UT Dallas under the mentorship of Dr. Bart Rypma presents me with an exciting opportunity to further develop my neuroimaging skills and increase my contribution to the production of academic research, specifically in the area of cognitive impairments in MS.”

When we asked him to share some advice for students who might be interested in graduate school, he said – “My practical advice to those interested in obtaining a graduate degree in science would be to get involved with hands-on research as early as you can. Early lab experience does not only look good on a CV, it allows one to better understand what conducting research actually entails. Furthermore, it can help inform what area of research you are interested in studying further. As more general advice, I would say to make sure you are truly interested and motivated to study your chosen topic. There will be challenging times that only sincere motivation and passionate curiosity will be able to carry you through. Lastly, know that graduate school is only the beginning. It is a time to learn the necessary skills for not just a successful career, but a successful life. Graduate school will help you grow, not only as a student, but as a person.”

PhD Candidate
Cognition and Neuroscience,
School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences