Md Shihabul Islam

March 13, 2021

Today, we’ll share the story of Md Shihabul Islam, a PhD candidate in Computer Science at the Erik Jonsson School of Engineering & Computer Science.

“I am Md Shihabul Islam, a PhD candidate in Computer Science from Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science. I am working under the supervision of Dr. Latifur Khan in the Big Data Analytics and Management Lab. My research interest lies in the field of cybersecurity, especially in systems security and machine learning-based security solutions. Currently, my research is focused on data security and privacy issues in IoT. 

The Internet of Things (IoT) has transformed the way we live and work through its iniquitousness and convenience of usage. As we get more dependent on these devices, a major concern emerges about the security of IoT data.  In this era of digitalization, data is one of the most valuable and vulnerable assets. Since IoT handles information from the most sensitive domains of our day-to-day lives, protecting the IoT systems must be given fundamental importance. The connected ecosystem of IoT deals with a vast amount of highly sensitive and private-user data, so more thorough research is required to understand new and existing challenges while ensuring the integrity and confidentiality of these data against various threats.  

I hope my research will address many unanswered challenges in this domain and lead our community towards a proper and more structured way of handling and protecting this valuable asset. Being a part of this crucial research community and contributing to the betterment of human lives, my research gives me that extra bit of motivation to improve my skills and score better solutions.”  

When we asked him to share some advice for students who might be interested in graduate school: “Look around and try to find any problem in this world; you wish had a better solution. Once you start indulging yourself into solving problems, I believe you will find pleasure in making it worth your while.” 

PhD Candidate,
Computer Science,
Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science