Mónica Rivas

March 13, 2021

Today, we’ll share the story of Mónica Rivas, a PhD candidate in Chemistry at the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.

“I am a fourth year graduate PhD Candidate Chemistry at the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. My research is aimed at discovering and improving ways to make and break chemical bonds, so that synthesizing molecules becomes practical in fields ranging from medicinal chemistry to everyday materials. Currently, my project involves developing methodologies toward the synthesis of Positron Emission Tomography (PET) agents, which will be specifically applied in cancer and neurodegenerative disease diagnosis and treatment monitoring.

I think the magic of pursuing a career in research extends further than simply contributing to the growth of a particular scientific field. In my case, I hope to contribute to organic synthesis and methodology, and engage in collaborative efforts toward early disease diagnosis and treatment monitoring through the radiochemical application.

Additionally, I hope that the day-to-day work of learning, mentoring, and being mentored, carries equal weight in my contribution. My intent is to have an impact on people and to encourage and help others along this research journey! My advice to students who may be interested in graduate school is to get organized and ask for help! Focus on why you are pursuing your degree, and let that reason guide you through the process.”

PhD Candidate
Chemistry,
School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics